Guide to East Village Shops: In Stores and Online NOW
The East Village is NOT a strip mall – the same chain stores you’ll find in town after town are few and far between in this neighborhood. We seek to keep our community unique, independent, and sustainable.
How can you help? SHOP LOCAL! When you spend your money locally by avoiding franchises, chain stores, and the big-box retailers, there are many benefits to the community. Learn more about the effect of chain stores on the local economy in our report Preserving Local, Independent Retail.
The updated Guide is in stores now!
- Choose creativity and personality over uniformity
- Provide economic diversity and stability
- Keep more of your money in your community
- Create local jobs with fair living wages
- Sustain small business owners who strengthen the local economy * Defend our neighborhood’s identity
- Fight the lie that “low prices” at chain stores makes up for the loss of local business ownership
Ready to start shopping?
Find local stores in the online Get Local! guide
To assure that your business is listed in Get Local!:
Contact the EVCC by calling (212) 979-2344 or write to biz (at) evccnyc (dot) org
For more information on the benefits of Getting Local, check out these sites:
- American Independent Business Alliance (AMIBA)
- Business Alliance for Local Living Economies (BALLE)
- Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR)
Latest News on Our Get Local! Efforts
- LAUNCH: Get Local Guide Digital Map Now view the Get Local! Guide to East Village Shops through our interactive map! Get Local Map Read More
- Retail Diversity in the East Village Over the course of three days in August 2014, EVCC staff and volunteers walked every block of the East Village in an effort to catalog the ground floor use of each building in the community. The data provides a snapshot of the retail landscape in the East Village from summer 2014. Overview The East Village has 1750 ... Read More
- The East Village Merchants Association Launches “East Village Loves”, A Campaign To Support Merchants Affected By The East Village Blast “East Village Loves” will highlight the East Village merchants affected by the tragic Second Avenue blast and emphasize that they are now fully open for business. Independent entrepreneurs in the East Village in conjunction with the East Village Independent Merchants Association (EVIMA) have announced the launch of “East Village Loves,” a campaign created to highlight local ... Read More
- 2014 EVIMA Holiday Gift Guide Read More
- Get Local! Guide East Village Shops Now Available Our neighborhood boasts resident-serving retail outlets and unique offerings from creative merchants. The East Village is NOT a strip mall – thankfully the monotonous chain stores found in town after town are in short supply here. In an attempt to keep our neighborhood independent and unique, we publish our free Get Local! Guide to East ... Read More
- 12/18 East Village Holiday Shopping Night Thursday, December 18th, 6-9pm Join the East Village Independent Merchant Association for an evening of special offers. Stop by EVCC from 6-10pm to meet neighbors, participate in our toy drive to benefit the Women’s Prison Association and enjoy holiday treats. Participating East Village Merchants Butter Lane Bakery 123 E 7th St (212) 677-2880 www.butterlane.com Butter Lane Bakery specializes in making the best cupcake ... Read More
- East Village Consumer Survey Do you live in the East Village? Or love to visit? Don’t get here often enough? Let us know what you think! Take our short survey by November 22nd to help us determine where and how people are spending in the community. Goals of the survey: Help to identify what types of retail are missing from the East Village Assess ... Read More
- It’s Time To Reserve Your Spot In The 2014 Get Local! Guide OUR NOT-FOR-PROFIT GUIDE PROMOTES LOCAL SMALL BUSINESS We list 500+ businesses located in the East Village for free. We educate consumers by encouraging them to shop locally instead of in chains and franchises, and to use local community services. The 8th Edition of the Get Local! Guide hits the East Village this Fall! We print 12,500 copies. We will distribute ... Read More
- Help St. Mark’s Bookshop move to new location in the East Village The Friends of St. Mark’s Bookshop is sponsoring an Indiegogo campaign to move the Bookshop into a new space in the East Village. But the Bookshop needs another financial push to build out the space and pay for moving costs, as well as maintaining its inventory for the remaining months at 31 Third Avenue. Once ... Read More
- Feb 24: Introducing EVIMA you’re invited to… Introducing EVIMA a gathering with food, conversation and more information about the East Village Independent Merchants Association (EVIMA) Monday, February 24 7:00-9:00 pm Ciao For Now 523 E 12th Street (between Aves A & B) Light Snacks Provided East Village Community Coalition (EVCC) has been collaborating with small business owners in order to create the East Village Independent Merchants ... Read More