In 2013, EVCC began working with small business owners to promote and advocate for the small and independent businesses in the East Village. Using funding from NYC’s Department of Small Business Services and the Manhattan Chamber of Commerce, EVCC worked with local merchants to develop a merchants association. A Steering Committee of local merchants has given the association its official name, the East Village Independent Merchants Association (EVIMA), and continues to build the association as an independent organization.
More About EVIMA
We work to connect, support, and promote small and independent businesses in the East Village.
Our overarching vision is to create a strong and diverse business environment that sustains the unique character of our neighborhood and serves the East Village community.
Who We Are:
We are a coalition of merchants who work in the East Village, one of the most unique neighborhoods in New York City with a rich history and diverse culture. For the Association’s purposes, the neighborhood is bounded to the north by 14th Street, to the west by 3rd Avenue, to the east by Avenue D, and to the south by Houston Street.
What We Do:
EVIMA is a merchant-led, self-sustaining organization. We envision the merchants association providing:
- Resources for growth: equipping merchants with knowledge, tools and networking opportunities in order to grow and improve their businesses.
- Visibility for local businesses: organizing initiatives that increase the visibility of local merchants and connect businesses with new audiences.
- Partnerships for change: fostering new partnerships with professional and community organizations that contribute to EVIMA’s mission and vision.
Keep in touch:
- Sign-up here to receive e-newsletters about:
- Educational and networking opportunities for local merchants
- News about business-related issues and needs in the East Village
- Updates on EVIMA
In the Media:
The Small-Business-Saving Squad of the East Village
Off The Grid (GVSHP Blog) – March 12, 2014
East Village Small Businesses Join Together in Merchant Association
DNAinfo – March 3, 2014