The East Village Community Coalition works to recognize, support, and sustain the built and cultural character of the East Village. EVCC seeks a Business Outreach Coordinator to develop a new merchants association in the East Village. Hurricane Sandy exposed a need for local business organizing to respond to ongoing challenges and future events. The incumbent will bring energy and creativity to implement our business engagement strategy. The grant-funded part-time position is available immediately through June 2014.
Applicant must have a passion for NYC as a city of neighborhoods. Familiarity with the East Village is a plus. Candidates must have excellent written and oral communication, proofreading skills, pay close attention to detail, be organized, and be a creative and independent worker. Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and experience with social media including Facebook and Twitter among other platforms are essential. Interest in community organizing, community development, urban planning, historic preservation, small business, or marketing preferred. Experience in graphic design a plus.
- Assist in creating and developing the East Village merchants association
- Maintain database of East Village businesses
- Perform outreach to engage local business owners and organizations
- Lead quarterly merchant meetings
- Manage communications to and among merchant members
- Conduct research and draft material about programs and incentives for small business owners
- Facilitate holiday shopping event and produce gift guide
- Update association website