EVCC advocates for the increased diversity of available retail and local services available for local residents. A mixture of small businesses keeps our neighborhood livable and attractive.
We promote retail diversity through three key initiatives:
2) Advocate for formula retail restriction zoning that limits the number of chain stores in the East Village, known for its unique small businesses. Read our report on Preserving Local, Independent Business using FRZ.
3) Formed the East Village Independent Merchants Association to support local, independent retailers in the neighborhood.
EVCC is taking steps to begin public outreach to gain community input on the current state of formula retail within the East Village.
Latest News on Our Retail Diversity Efforts
- Old P.S. 64/CHARAS Community Meeting – Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2017 Join neighbors, community organizations and elected officials for an update on recent developments at Old P.S. 64/CHARAS. A Community Meeting will be held at Loisaida, Inc, 710 East 9th Street on Wednesday, January 18th at 6:30pm. You cans also help by emailing the mayor and inviting others! See links below. Stand with your neighbors and community partners, again, ... Read More
- The 2017 Get Local! Guide is here! The 2017 Get Local! Guide has arrived. Email or call/text Carol at (347) 903-9676 TODAY to schedule a delivery or pick up. Read More
- End of 2015 Gratitude and Appeal from EVCC Support EVCC in 2016 View this email in your browser Dear Neighbors, Thank you for your support in preserving the East Village! 2015 tested our neighborhood on many fronts. You stood firm with us, again, to protect our unique buildings and local businesses from disaster and developers. We are grateful for your courage and commitment and ... Read More
- Get Local! Guide to East Village Shops – Get Yours Today! The East Village Community Coalition publishes our free Get Local! Guide to East Village Shops each year. The updated 9th Edition — with over 500 sh0ps listed — is available now! Email (or leave a message 212-9792-2344) to get your guides today! Spending your money locally helps small businesses thrive in the East Village. Local shopping also: – ... Read More