A diversity of local independent retail shops and services is an essential part of life in the East Village. EVCC continues to press for any and all measures to support the small businesses that keep our neighborhood livable and attractive.
We promote retail diversity through three key initiatives:
1) Publish EVCC’s annual Get Local! Guide to Local Shops.
2) Advocate for formula retail restriction zoning to limit the number of chain stores in the East Village, which is known for its unique small businesses. Read our report on Preserving Local, Independent Business using FRZ. EVCC is working with CB 3’s Economic Development Committee on a proposed Special District for the East Village.
3) Formed the East Village Independent Merchants Association to support local, independent retailers in the neighborhood.
Latest News on Our Retail Diversity Efforts
- Small Business News! CB 3 Meeting WED 4/25 Join us to hear Cooper Square Committee’s information on the Commercial Lease Assistance Program and the City Council’s Planning for Retail Diversity Report CB 3 Economic Development Committee 6:30 pm WED 4/25 University Settlement Houston Street Center 473 Bowery Despite the changes we see every day, our neighborhood is still a very special place! Please help preserve what we have. The City Council’s report expresses support for initiatives for which ... Read More
- Love Our Local Merchants What’s not to love? EVCC’s 2018 Get Local Guide is full of lovely spots for: beautiful blooms ironic tees sweet treats thoughtful gifts vintage pops of red Spread the Love Share your finds on Yelp and Instagram #VivaEastVillage @evimanyc For extra xoxo’s Sign GVSHP’s petition in support of the Small Business Jobs Survival Act (SBJSA): https://secure2.convio.net/gvshp/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=131 Thanks for all you do! Read More
- End-Of-Year Appeal 2017 Dear Neighbors, Thank you for your commitment to preserving the East Village. My new role as Executive Director has taught me that the East Village Community Coalition is all about you: writing letters, making calls, attending events, staying informed, and shopping locally! We invite you to keep in touch, share your thoughts on what’s important to you and ... Read More
- The 2018 Get Local Guide The 2018 Get Local Guide has arrived! Email or call 212-979-2344 to get yours, or try our online version Read More